Director of Strategy & Assurance for Digital, Data & TechnologyRegister for Job Alert
A part of the Cabinet Office, the Central Digital and Data Office leads the digital, data and technology (DDaT) function for government. We put the right conditions in place to achieve digital, data and technology transformation at scale by working with departments, and other government functions like commercial, project delivery and security professionals. The Government is transforming at pace, and it is CDDOs vision to make UK Government digital services the best in the world, exceeding the benchmark set globally by the best public or private sector standards.
We have significant challenges to overcome. We need to address and understand years of uneven progress and siloed development in departments which have led to varying levels of digital maturity across government. We need to deal with the costly issue of legacy IT that has been allowed to build up over multiple financial cycles and is now a barrier to the delivery of great policy and services.
Our vision is that by 2025, the UK government will be a transformed, more efficient digital government that provides better outcomes for everyone.
This means we will:
- Exceed public expectations. We will create user-centric policies and public services that are more efficient, fit for the digital age, centred on user needs and deliver the right outcomes.
- Equip civil servants for a digital future. We will upskill civil servants in digital capabilities and digital delivery, with access to the right data and tools to do their jobs effectively.
- Enhance government efficiency and security. We will create a more joined-up and efficient government that uses common building blocks to deliver services quickly, cheaply and securely. We will enable and encourage digital innovation.
About the Role:
As Director of Strategy & Assurance for Digital, Data and Technology, you will work closely across government departments and Ministers to support the delivery of the 2022-2025 roadmap for digital and data, transforming for a innovative Digital Future, through:
- Providing vision and setting the strategic direction to achieve digital, data and technology transformation across Government and ensure that this supports the government’s strategy.
- Driving the delivery of the government’s current 2022-2025 roadmap, including portfolio management of the programme of work to achieve the strategy, and communication of progress and blockers.
- Managing and continuously improving the products, processes, tools and governance forums that enable the Digital, Data and Technology function to deliver against its strategy, including Quarterly Business Reviews, maturity assessments and Director, Director-General and Permanent Secretary level steering boards.
- Ensuring Government achieves value for money in procurement of technology and digital solutions through managing and continuously improving the digital spend controls, a delegated authority from His Majesty’s Treasury.
- Ensuring the Digital, Data and Technology function harnesses the power of data by incorporating data-driven approaches to cross-government digital transformation activity.
- Delivering a programme of work designed to modernise government’s ways of working.
- Working with other government functions - including HMT, Finance, Commercial and the Infrastructure and Projects Authority - to address the systemic barriers to digital transformation including financial processes, business case and impact tracking opportunities. Support departments in the implementation of change programmes to practically resolve these opportunities.
- Leading a change programme to embed product-centric organisational structures and agile ways of working into government’s delivery approach.
This is an exciting time for both CDDO and the public sector, and the Chief Data Officer will be crucial in our efforts to ensure we realise our ambitions to achieve the vision of the future. We're committed to making to make UK Government digital services the best in the world.