Deputy Director for the Design, Data and Delivery TeamRegister for Job Alert
The role will report directly into the Chief Digital and Information Officer where you will form part of the BEIS Digital Leadership Team who regularly engage with Government Digital Service, Central Digital and Data Office and Communities of Practice.
The successful candidate will lead on and develop the digital and technology functions of the Design, Data and Delivery team.
The portfolio of the Design, Data and Delivery team is large covering various areas; user-centred design, delivery management, data, and business analysis.
The User Centred Design team includes service designers, content designers, user researchers, product managers and software developers. The team is responsible for designing and building internal and public-facing digital services. The team are currently building services on GOV.UK that will give out grants and support our industrial NetZero ambitions. The Delivery Management team are leading on large public-facing projects, such as Help to Grow and the Open Regulation Platform. The Data team leads on key areas including Data Policy leading on National Data Strategy, Data Standards, Data Quality, Transparency and Open Data. They also leading on business insights and intelligence service and providing the right infrastructure to manage our data effectively. The Business Analysts (BAs) team helps customers shape Digital opportunities by defining scope, benefits and evidence-based user needs. They focus on improving the customer experience by optimising and transforming ways of working.
This role will ensure that programmes and projects pan-BEIS will be supported in designing and developing mature data models in line with the overarching assurance controls and enabling advanced exploitation capabilities. The role will set the standards and ways of working for the digital and data community and champion digital and data services across Government and with Partners. The DD will be working very closely to influence and advise policy teams on digital services and best practices. The successful candidate will be managing conversations with key internal stakeholders, such as the Director General, BEIS Directors and other Deputy Directors. Some key activities the team have been supporting include the development of the Data Management Platform, supporting Help to Grow programme and the Investment Security Unit.
- Develop a comprehensive digital and data strategy, aligned to the wider Digital, Data and Technology (DDaT) strategy which supports the overall objectives of BEIS.
- Lead and inspire our staff to deliver digital and data services at pace.
- Deliver the next generation of high performing digital services for our customers and staff, working within BEIS and wider government.
- Provide strong leadership focusing on delivering outcomes, valuing people, customer service and efficiency using a one team approach.
- Champion customer insight and usability in the design and delivery of digital services.
- Build the digital and data capability addressing critical resourcing issues.
- Create value from the data available to us within BEIS, partner organisations and beyond.
- Champion best practice and a standards-based approach in the delivery of services.
- Be a key member of the Executive Team, role modelling exemplar behaviours and living the BEIS values.
- Look for opportunities to innovate and challenge the norm.
- Contribute to the overall success of BEIS.
What we are looking for skills, experience and qualifications
Essentials - the successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Experience of successfully leading and developing digital and technology functions, with a proven ability to set strong direction and a compelling future vision at all levels.
- Significant experience and track record of delivering high performing digital and data led services to business and consumers in complex environments.
- Experience of continuous improvement whilst reducing cost of digital and data driven services.
- The ability to think creatively, challenging organisational norms and capabilities to consider new and different innovation opportunities, approaches and methods.
- Experience of driving a customer insight and usability-based strategy to develop digital services and a high degree of market awareness.
- Demonstrable experience of agile project management, open source, cloud platforms and digital services.
- Experience of DevOps, continuous integration/deployment and a range of testing approaches.
- Knowledge of data science and a range of database concepts.
- Experience of adopting innovative approaches to delivering and procuring services, and of managing relationships with suppliers.
Working pattern: Flexible working, Full-time, Job share
Location: Birmingham, Cardiff, Darlington, Edinburgh, London, Salford