Lead Software EngineerRegister for Job Alert
Scottish Government and Social Security Scotland are seeking applications for an experienced Lead Developer/Development Manager as part of a major flagship government programme. This is a permanent and pensionable appointment and candidates with a disability who meet the essential criteria below will be invited to the assessments.
This is a unique opportunity to build and lead a team of agile software developers across a greenfield programme which will create the first new public service in Scotland for over fifty years. As an experienced Lead Developer, you will be trusted and empowered to deploy your skills in Software Engineering across services which will impact the wellbeing of millions throughout Scotland.
Social Security Scotland will be the largest, most complex IT program of change since devolution with a lifetime budget of over £300m, delivering a social security system to support the people of Scotland for decades to come.
As the new Scottish Social Security Agency rises out of Scottish Government, the team will be split between Glasgow & Dundee, and whilst working remotely initially, you will benefit from flexible working and brand-new offices with state-of-the-art technology as government restrictions ease.
This role presents a unique opportunity to use market-leading technologies to create new solutions and ensure continuous enhancements to our existing platforms. You will join a highly skilled and motivated team on a journey that will shape our technological future and build digital services that make a genuine difference to over 1.5 million Scottish people.
As the successful candidate you will:
- Build a high-performing team of developers and software Engineers that have responsibility for delivering and supporting leading-edge technology solutions.
- Apply a strategic mind-set to development, seeking commonality in processes and patterns to influence and embed best practice across the software development function.
- Be a confident communicator, capable of impressing your ideas and influence upon others to drive agile development decisions, deploy software solutions and lead on the creation of development strategies, guiding both technical and non-technical stakeholders where required.
- Work closely with colleagues to deliver highly available, resilient, scalable, and fault-tolerant solutions.
- Have a desire to work with the latest technologies and be comfortable creating proof of concepts for new services and tools which benefit the organisation.
- Be able to apply previous experience and learning to situations you encounter in our ecosystem.
1. Experience of building and leading multi-disciplinary software development teams that have responsibility for the delivery or support of enterprise technology services.
2. Experience of working in agile projects/programmes. You must be proficient in iterative software development and understand the associated responsibilities, practices and artefacts. The ability to communicate clearly and consistently on these, and other elements of the software development lifecycle with the wider team, is also important.
3. An awareness of best practice, new developments, and trends within the software engineering specialism.
4. Experience of building and maintaining strong relationships, both within the ICT specialism and amongst customer groups.
This is a unique opportunity to engineer and enhance of one of the most critical pieces of technology in Scottish Governments’ history. Your success in post will not only grow your skills as a Lead Software Engineer but you will also play a pivotal role in the success of a programme that will make a difference to millions of people across Scotland.
For further details about this incredible opportunity and to apply, please contact Dave Flynn:
Scotgov@global-resourcing.com or 01413 272229.
What do we do for you?
We offer meaningful and engaging careers, a collaborative culture, and support for your career goals, all while nurturing a healthy work-life balance.
We provide an employment package that attracts, develops, and retains only the best talent.
Our reward scheme includes:
- Salary between £48,930 - £61,006 and DDaT allowance of £4k after 9 months
- Contributory Pension Scheme (employee contributions 5.45%-7.35%, employer contributions 27.9%)
- 36.5 days annual leave (including public and privilege holidays) (increasing to 41.5 after 4 years)
- Weekly Hours: 37 hrs
- Flexible working arrangements with potential of up to 4 days off per month
- Professional – Member of Digital Data and Technology profession
- Further benefits are available in the rewards package
DDaT Pay Supplement
This post attracts a £4,000 ICT pay supplement after a 9 months ICT Competency qualifying period. Pay supplements are temporary payments designed to address recruitment and retention issues caused by market pressures and are subject to regular review.