Lead AWS Cloud EngineerRegister for Job Alert
Scottish Government and Social Security Scotland are seeking applications for an experienced Lead Cloud Engineer, as part of a major flagship government programme.
This is a unique opportunity to deploy enterprise cloud engineering across a greenfield programme in the first new public service in Scotland for over fifty years. As an experienced Lead Cloud Engineer, you will be trusted and empowered to deploy your skills across services which will impact the wellbeing of millions throughout Scotland as you create develop and deploy leading edge cloud services.
Social Security Scotland will be the largest, most complex IT program of change since devolution with a lifetime budget of over £300m, delivering a social security system to support the people of Scotland for decades to come. The Chief Digital Office is now (since the 1st April) now part of Social Security Scotland, an independent Executive Agency of the Scottish Government.
As the new Scottish Social Security Agency rises out of Scottish Government, the team will be split between Dundee & Glasgow, but provide innovative digital services across Scotland to over 1.5 million citizens. Whilst working remotely initially, longer term you will benefit from flexible working and brand-new offices with state-of-the-art technology.
This role presents a unique opportunity and an almost blank canvas and play a pivotal role in investing in and designing market-leading Cloud solutions. Demonstrating world class innovation and implementing your designs across this project, you will utilise leading edge tools along the way both to create new platforms and ensure continuous enhancements of a Scotland and UK first.
Social Security Scotland are at the forefront of cloud native development on Amazon Web Services for business line applications. Delivery is focused around 12 factor applications with Infrastructure as code, configuration management and CI/CD principles, delivering flexible, secure platforms for the people of Scotland. This is an opportunity to join a highly skilled and motivated team on a journey that will shape our technological future and build digital services that make a genuine difference to those in need.
As the successful candidate you will:
- Lead a high-performing team of cloud engineers to deliver cloud infrastructure and feed into the wider Cloud delivery eco-system.
- Apply a strategic mind-set to Cloud Engineering, seeking commonality in processes and patterns, armed with the latest tools and technology to drive decision making and cloud engineering enhancements.
- Be a confident communicator, capable of impressing your ideas and influence upon others to drive cloud decisions, deploy cloud solutions and lead on Cloud strategies, guiding both technical and non-technical stakeholders where required.
- Have a code first/software-oriented mind-set to cloud computing (fully utilising DevOps principles, Infrastructure as Code, with an appreciation of design and architecture patterns desirable).
- Work closely with colleagues to deliver highly available, resilient, scalable and fault-tolerant cloud solutions.
- Have a desire to work with the latest technologies in Cloud Engineering, and comfortable creating e.g. Proof of concept for new services and tools which benefit the overall tech landscape.
- Be able to apply previous experience and learning to situations you encounter in our ecosystem.
- Experienced leader of cloud engineering teams that deliver platform services in a fast-paced Agile environment.
- Experienced with the principles of continuous delivery, release engineering and deployment pipelines. Experience with continuous integration tools (such as Jenkins), version control artefact repositories static analysis tools
- Experienced knowledge of AWS platform services and be able to define highly available, resilient, scalable and fault tolerant end to end solution architecture including integration with on premise and third-party suppliers.
- Previous working experience of architecting and deploying modern web applications using autonomic infrastructure in the Amazon Web Services environment, including: EC2, Route 53, VPC, Load Balancing, RDS and S3, Kubernetes.
This is a unique opportunity to engineer and enhance of one of the most critical pieces of technology in Scottish Governments’ history. Your success in post will not only grow your skills in Cloud Engineering but you will also play a pivotal role in the success of a programme that will make a difference to millions of people across Scotland.
For further details about this incredible opportunity and to apply, please contact Dave Flynn:
Scotgov@global-resourcing.com or 01413 272229.
What do we do for you?
We offer meaningful and engaging careers, a collaborative culture, and support for your career goals, all while nurturing a healthy work-life balance.
We provide an employment package that attracts, develops, and retains only the best talent.
Our reward scheme includes:
Salary between £66,948 - £74,675 and DDaT allowance of £4k after 9 months (1% rise scheduled April 2021)
Contributory Pension Scheme (employee contributions 7.35%, employer contributions 27.9%)
36.5 days annual leave (including public and privilege holidays) (increasing to 41.5 after 4 years)
Weekly Hours: 37.5hrs
Flexible working arrangements with potential of up to 4 days off a month
Professional – Member of Digital Data and Technology Profession
Further benefits are available in the rewards package
Note this position will require occasional out of hours work supporting live services and programme deliverables.
DDaT Pay Supplement
This post attracts a £4,000 ICT pay supplement after a 9 months ICT Competency qualifying period. Pay supplements are temporary payments designed to address recruitment and retention issues caused by market pressures and are subject to regular review.