DWP – Digital Delivery Deputy Director (Universal Credit Full Service)Register for Job Alert
With over 80,000 dedicated employees, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is the UK government’s biggest operational department, delivering services that have a vital positive impact on the lives of over 20 million people every day.
We are implementing radical improvements to the way that welfare functions and we are passionate about the work that we do. Our teams are bright, bold and highly engaging; driving market leading and complex, digital delivery at scale.
As the Deputy Director of Digital Delivery, you will play a critical part in driving world-class delivery excellence within one of the largest transformation programmes in Europe. Your leadership will make digital services quicker, simpler and more efficient, whilst networking to expand digital capabilities across Government.
Having moved away from reliance on multiple third-party suppliers, we are building our own best-practice digital capability in-house. Working with the Digital Director and critical stakeholders, you will be responsible for building this capability to drive the delivery of the programme across three core digital hubs (London, Leeds and Manchester) with personal delivery ownership for London.
The Digital Delivery Deputy Director will be accountable for the delivery of the Universal Credit Full Service programme, ensuring you meet agreed objectives and priorities regarding quality, cost and timescales. To do this, you will lead a dynamic and inspiring community of Delivery Managers, collaboratively working with a highly skilled management team to matrix-manage agile multi-disciplinary teams, including product and programme managers across the three hubs.
Utilising your experience of managing £mm budgets across a range of digital programmes, you will prioritise resource demands to support and drive agile delivery at scale, becoming an exemplar of delivery for all Government departments.
As a digital leader you will build upon and nurture the existing productive relationships across all levels of stakeholders and third - party suppliers, whilst expanding digital capabilities and working across operations to bring agile ways of working into delivery.
Reporting to the Digital Director for UCFS, your key responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring that all desired outcomes are delivered on time and on budget;
- Working with the management team to assess and manage risks, challenges and dependencies whilst implementing ongoing training, to ensure optimal delivery;
- Allocate and prioritise resources accordingly, ensuring there is a transparent management of budget and redeploying resources where necessary;
- Drive and lead a dynamic and diverse community of Delivery Managers, working collaboratively with product teams and programme managers to fulfil high quality, exemplar digital delivery, at scale, whilst also empowering their teams to self - organise effectively;
- Build upon and expand digital capabilities across Government departments.
This role would be most suited to an individual with a track record of delivering large scale complex transformation programmes that has required building an operating model and subsequent digital capability. The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate the following essential skills and experience:
- Proven track record of effective delivery of products and services through a results-orientated approach within a complex organization using both Waterfall and Agile methodologies;
- Experience of helping organisations to mature and improve their delivery and digital capabilities;
- Visible leadership skills, with the ability to set clear direction and build high performing teams through developing capability and creating an inclusive culture;
- Strong commercial acumen – owning and monitoring a £mm budget in addition to experience of vendor and partner management where delivery is required through 3rd parties;
- High levels of personal resilience, remaining calm under pressure with the ability to think and act strategically, developing practical, creative and innovative solutions, business models and approaches, and driving these forward;
- Proven ability to establish and maintain excellent stakeholder relationships with the credibility to engage, influence and gain the confidence of others;
- An ability to mitigate and foresee potential issues, working with the most senior of leaders, delivery partners, stakeholders and clients.
- It is desirable that you have:
- Experience in matrix-managing multi- disciplinary teams
- Recognised certification in Scrum, Kanban and/or Lean techniques
- Recognised certification in scaled Agile techniques (e.g. LeSS, Nexus or SAFe) or Managing Successful Programmes or similar
- ITIL foundation
The Civil Service recruits using Success Profiles. This means for each role we advertise, we consider what you will need to demonstrate in order to be successful. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
During the application process we will be considering the following behaviours;
- Communicating and influencing
- Working together
- Delivering at pace
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.
For an informal and confidential conversation please contact Sarah Luxford on 020 8253 1800 or email DWPdelivery@global-resourcing.com for an information pack and how to apply.
Applications to be received by 9am Friday 1st March 2019.