Government Digital Service – Director, Service Design and AssuranceRegister for Job Alert
Since 2012, the Government Digital Service has been at the heart of working on things that matter; driving digital transformation to make a difference to millions of people.
Our diverse variety of work is pushing a new era of digital understanding, education and development. Unleashing the power of creativity, our teams of agile developers, designers, project managers and content owners build truly transformational products. Be it Gov.UK, Verify, Pay, the Digital Marketplace or new apps - our journey has only just begun.
We are passionate about the work that we do; our teams are bright, bold and highly engaging. At the Government Digital Service, our job is transformation; to make government work better for everyone – and as the Director of Service Design and Assurance you will play a critical role in our growth.
About the role
Over the past 5 years, the Government Digital Service (GDS) has helped save over £1 billion by working with departments to identify better and cost-effective ways to deliver IT and digital products and services. GDS works collaboratively with departments before they even start to create a digital service to provide support and advice where and when it is needed in line with the various Technology Standards and the Technology Code of Practice. This is framed by a spend controls process, backed by a pipeline approach which looks at all digital and technology activity, (rather than looking at a spend above a certain threshold) bringing an iterative, holistic approach to design and spend whilst ensuring a backstop of control when standards are not being met.
As Head of Service Design and Assurance, you will run the control process to sign off on all digital and technology activity across departments, rationalising detail and ensuring that there is a transparent, auditable pipeline of digital spend. Encouraging collaboration between experts (commercial or technical) across all departments and at Ministerial level, you will drive early engagement with design authorities in addition to the Standards and Assurance community to ensure better planning and delivery, leading to better outcomes and a smoother process for all.
Reporting into the Director General, you will lead and inspire a team responsible for defining and assuring best practice of standards across government ranging from Service Design through to evolving technologies such as AI. You shall provide consistency across government, advocating and demonstrating the value of service design, standards and assurance, whilst ultimately helping the UK government to develop shareable secures services whilst building robust technological and operational capability.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Assuring digital and IT spend to drive quality, transparency and value for money across UK government departments
- Leading an effective programme of service assessments, managing the end to end spend controls process
- Developing Government Technology Standards and associated Code of Practice, formulating cross government collaboration whilst building technology capability and innovation
- Establishing a ‘secure by design’ service that is responsive, safe, interoperable and kept up to date
- Influence, inspire and develop a team responsible for creating standards and assessment that covers Technology, Service Design and Security
- Providing strategic advice and guidance, continually developing the service manual and design patterns, whilst engaging and training departments to make better decisions about service improvement
- Outstanding leadership & communication skills with the ability to manage and inspire a team (direct and indirect) whilst driving a collaborative culture
- Proven stakeholder management with the credibility to engage, influence and gain confidence of others whilst mitigating potential issues
- Ability to manage change in a complex, high profile and real time operating environment
- An understanding of the cyber threat landscape (most notably within government) and service design mitigations therein
- A credible understanding of Government Technology assets (ie Spend Controls, Service Assessment processes, Service Design Manual & principles)
The Civil Service recruits using Success Profiles. This means for each role we advertise, we consider what you will need to demonstrate in order to be successful. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
During the application process we will be considering the following behaviours;
• Communicating and influencing
• Changing and Improving
• Making effective decisions
• Delivering at pace
• Working together
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.
For an informal and confidential conversation please contact Sarah Luxford on 020 8253 1806 or email GDSexec@global-resourcing.com for an information pack and how to apply.
Applications to be received by 9am Monday 11th February 2019