Chief Data Architect - Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA)Register for Job Alert
Our work saves lives, every single day. Whether at the beach, coast or sea, people rely on our 24-hour emergency service 365-days a year, whilst our surveyors operate to ensure high standards of safety for all boat users around the globe.
With nationwide reach, we’re made up of nearly 4,500 employees and volunteers, across 450 sites across the UK. We operate the biggest airborne fleet in the government outside of the armed services, control a coastguard operation that sells its expertise around the world, set the standards in the growing shipping sector and play a vital role in enabling and delivering innovation across the maritime sector.
The technology infrastructure that drives our business relies on leading edge hardware and software systems that are almost unique outside of the defence sector. Whilst we are a high performing organisation, we still have work to do to ensure that data allows us to achieve our incredible ambitions.
As part of a major transformation programme and restructure, a new data team is being created to support the MCA in their endeavours to save more lives at sea. Using data and analytics, MCA will not only be able to put preventative measures in place; but take the search out of search and rescue. Our aim is to become a centre of analytics excellence, adopting cutting edge methods to drive innovation, automation and machine learning.
This is where you come in…
As Chief Data Architect, you will provide leadership, insight and governance across the MCA data landscape. By driving the analysis of data sources, our models, policies, rules and standards, you will develop a market leading data strategy. In addition, you will adopt methods, processes and algorithms that will extract knowledge and insights from structured and unstructured data to support all our wider organisational objectives.
Key responsibilities of this role will also include:
• Accountability for the organisations data strategy as well as expanding the research and analytics offerings;
• Championing data architecture throughout the organisation and assuring systems are designed in accordance with the data architecture;
• Contributing to creating an agile, fast paced organisation by promoting innovation;
• Providing leadership and acting as a role models within the I&T function;
• Engaging and advising at the highest levels to support strategic decision making;
• Ensuring that the MCA is investing in and utilising the latest technologies and methodologies;
• Overseeing the design of data models, with a broad understanding of how each model fulfils the needs of the business.
This is a rare opportunity to develop and influence change within a completely unique organisation. The MCA is unparalleled in our commitment and dedication to the crucial work we carry out. Our tireless pursuit of technological improvement will ensure that your role with us will not only help save countless lives for years to come, but successfully position you for the role of your choosing in the future.
Dare to be different.