Senior Systems EngineerRegister for Job Alert
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Senior Systems engineer will provide the expertise and skills required to support, maintain and make planned improvements to the company's internal infrastructure to ensure it is reliable, secure and continues to meet the company's needs. Working with external vendors and internal resources, the Senior Systems Engineer will ensure that IT systems and services meet the company's quality standards and conform to best practice.
The Senior Systems Engineer will report directly to the IT Service Manager and will be responsible for proactively managing infrastructure projects and service requests, and where necessary, escalating issues to their line manager
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES & TASKS
- Provide technical direction working with internal and external resources/suppliers to deliver solutions that meet the operational needs of the business, as directed by the IT Service Manager.
- Install new/rebuild existing Servers and configure hardware, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Easily recognises system deficiencies, implement effective solutions whilst developing and maintaining installation and configuration procedures.
- Contribute to and maintain system standards and policies.
- Research and recommend innovative technologies or system changes that can deliver improvements in efficiency and where possible identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- Manage and update the Disaster Recovery plan as required.
- Work sympathetically and effectively with IT and business staff as well as customers.
- Carry out in-house system testing as required with new systems.
- Liaise with and manage 3rd party vendors/relationships
JOB RELATED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED FOR THE POST
- Degree &/or have sufficient relevant work experience.
Job Related Knowledge
- Active Directory and Group Policies
- MS Server 2008R2/2012 R2
- MS Exchange 2007/13 + Exchange 365
- MS SCCM and WSUS 2012
- MS DFS and namespaces
- Network Setup including TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP configuration
- Network Hardware including Switches and Firewalls
- Desktop software including Office 365, Windows 10
- Cloud based phone systems
- Excellent people-management skills, and ability to motivate
- Professional and service-oriented attitude towards users and customers
- Excellent communication skills (verbal & written) for a range of audiences.
- Able to prioritise unsupervised
- Ability to systematically troubleshoot complex problems
- Problem Solver
- Solid time management, planning and organising skills
- Capability to ensure accountability and cost-effectiveness within internal infrastructure team
- Project management experience
- Service management experience
- MCSA/MCSE 2008 - 2012 Qualified or equivalent experience
- Previous experience engineering and deploying scalable, highly available solutions utilising roles within Windows Server: DHCP, DNS, AD, Print, File Services, DFS across multiple sites.
- Competent with Microsoft SQL Server, Exchange Server to Office 365 administration, architecting and implementation.
- Good understanding of HP MSA storage systems
- VCP5 (VMware vSphere 5.5 and 6). Clustering, Networking, HA, DR.
- Able to support and administer cloud based application infrastructure solutions in AWS, Oracle Cloud and others.
- Backup solution architecting and administration using Veeam and other software
- Good understanding of IPv4 Networking and IPv6. Configuration and routing on Cisco, Watchguard and other vendor hardware.