GDS - Deputy Director, Tech OperationsRegister for Job Alert
Since 2012, Government Digital Service has been at the heart of working on things that matter; driving digital transformation and making a difference to millions of people.
Our diverse work is pushing a new era of digital understanding, delivery and development. Unleashing the power of creativity, our teams of agile developers, designers, project managers and content owners build truly transformational products. Be it Gov.UK, Verify, Pay, the Digital Marketplace or new apps, we’ve already delivered world leading products but our journey has only just begun.
We are passionate about the work that we do; our teams are bright, bold and highly engaging. At the Government Digital Service, our job is transformation; to make government work better for everyone.
This is an incredible opportunity within the Delivery and Support group to play an active part in the delivery of digital transformation across Government and be the exemplar for operational excellence within an agile environment, at scale.
The Delivery and Support group is responsible for maintaining a range of GDS’s most high-profile products and services, including GOV.UK, Verify, and Government as a Platform. The Deputy Director is accountable for ensuring that the best tools are available for the development of all GDS products and services whilst ensuring a level of consistency across operational processes and support – ultimately enabling products and services to be delivered robustly, reliably and on time.
Reporting to the Director of Delivery and Support Group, you will lead and inspire a strong and established team including Product Managers, Technical Leads, Customer Support and the Security function whilst collaborating with a high performing peer team of Deputy Directors. As a leader that has previously delivered digital transformation utilising a breadth of technology, you will deliver against the product strategy, ensuring the best approach to technical platform architecture and application solutions.
You will provide direction around delivery metrics, articulating OKRs to drive meaningful deliverables that ensure successful service delivery and a high level of customer satisfaction, while advocating a culture of accountability, ownership and customer focus. In addition to internal leadership, you will also lead key IT supplier relationships, negotiating contracts and managing their performance against agreed service levels and to the most cost-effective terms.
As a champion for technical operational excellence, you will build and nurture constructive relationships across all levels of stakeholders whilst evangelising and sharing best practice.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Act as the interface between GDS and its customers in relation to technical operations, including being the ultimate escalation point
- Drive operational knowledge sharing across all technical teams, ensuring teams can respond effectively and efficiently to incidents
- Lead, inspire and develop a direct and matrix-team to push boundaries in operational excellence
- Collaborate with senior management to set and managed KPIs, OKRs, Service Levels and appropriate reporting
- Manage contract and supplier relationships, ensuring continuity of service where delivery is required though 3rd parties
- Balance and mitigate tensions and dependencies across a broad range of senior leaders, providing strategic vision across the rapidly evolving digital landscape
- Champion and drive a diverse, inclusive and supportive culture that stimulates collaboration and enables colleagues to enable the delivery of exemplar digital products and services
- Demonstrable experience of successfully delivering impactful technology orientated programmes and improvements in a senior role within an agile environment at scale
- Experience of working with a broad range of systems development, infrastructure transformation, configuration management and technical operations management tools in Linux environments. Experience in managing mission critical systems within Amazon Web Services is desirable
- A deep understanding and demonstrable experience of setting standards and development of procedures that deliver end-to-end, tightly monitored and supported environments
- Proven demonstrable leadership skills to inspire and motivate people at all levels to deliver programmes through to successful conclusion – including experience of building and managing matrix driven multi-disciplinary teams
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, ensuring confidence in conflict resolution, working collaboratively across all levels of stakeholders
The Civil Service recruits using Success Profiles. This means for each role we advertise, we consider what you will need to demonstrate in order to be successful. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
During the application process we will be considering the following behaviours;
• Communicating and influencing
• Changing and Improving
• Making effective decisions
• Delivering at pace
• Working together
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.
For an informal and confidential conversation please contact Sarah Luxford on 020 8253 1806 or email GDStechops@global-resourcing.com for an information pack and how to apply.
Applications to be received by 9am Monday 1st April 2019