GDS - Deputy Director, DeliveryRegister for Job Alert
Since 2012, Government Digital Service has been at the heart of working on things that matter; driving digital transformation and making a difference to millions of people.
Our diverse work is pushing a new era of digital understanding, delivery and development. Unleashing the power of creativity, our teams of agile developers, designers, project managers and content owners build truly transformational products. Be it Gov.UK, Verify, Pay, the Digital Marketplace or new apps, we’ve already delivered world leading products but our journey has only just begun.
We are passionate about the work that we do; our teams are bright, bold and highly engaging. At the Government Digital Service, our job is transformation; to make government work better for everyone.
This is an incredible opportunity to play an active part in the delivery of digital transformation across Government and be the exemplar for digital delivery across the UK.
The Delivery and Support group is responsible for maintaining a range of GDS’s most high-profile services, including GOV.UK, Verify, and Government as a Platform. The Deputy Director will be accountable for the delivery of these flagship programmes and award-winning products, ensuring they meet GDS’s objectives and priorities to agreed quality, cost and timescales.
You will lead and inspire a community of Delivery Managers, unblocking barriers to ensure continuity of delivery, whilst working with a high performing team of Deputy Directors to matrix-manage agile multi-disciplinary teams, including product and programme managers.
Utilising your experience of managing £mm budgets across a range of technology programmes (GDS delivery budget is over £80m a year), you will prioritise resource demands whilst continually looking at improved ways of working to support and drive agile delivery at scale.
As a technology leader you will build and nurture constructive relationships across all levels of stakeholders whilst advocating for the use of the most appropriate methodologies for digital transformation and how to bring agile ways of working into delivery. Reporting to the Director for Delivery and Support Group, your key responsibilities will include:
- Ensure that all programmes and products are delivering outcomes for cross-government transformation, on time and on budget;
- Drive a transformation and improvement programme across the teams to ensure robustness and resilience within processes and the optimum culture to achieve the desired outcomes;
- Lead a community of delivery managers whilst engaging with programme and product teams to ensure high quality delivery, at scale, across Verify, Gov.UK and Government as a Platform;
- Work with peers (Deputy Directors) to manage and address risks, issues and dependencies across different programmes and products to ensure optimal delivery and to develop the broader team;
- Allocate and manage resources accordingly, ensuring priorities are set and there is transparent management of budget for all programmes;
- Manage the existing contract and supplier relationship, ensuring continuity of service where delivery is required though 3rd parties;
- Balance and mitigate tensions and dependencies across a broad range of senior leaders, providing strategic vision across the rapidly evolving digital landscape;
- Champion and drive a diverse, inclusive and supportive culture that stimulates collaboration and enables colleagues to deliver exemplar digital products.
- Demonstrable experience of successfully delivering impactful technology orientated programmes and improvements in a senior role within an agile environment at scale;
- Proven demonstrable leadership skills to inspire and motivate people at all levels to deliver programmes through to successful conclusion – including experience of building and managing matrix driven multi-disciplinary teams;
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, ensuring confidence in conflict resolution, working collaboratively across all levels of stakeholders;
- Extensive experience of advocating and delivering products and services utilising a range of tools of methodologies, specifically including Agile and lean methodologies to deliver products and technology orientated programmes at scale e.g. Kanban, Scrum, DTSM;
- Qualification in Programme Management (e.g. Agile ProgM or Managing Successful Programmes).
The Civil Service recruits using Success Profiles. This means for each role we advertise, we consider what you will need to demonstrate in order to be successful. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
During the application process we will be considering the following behaviours;
- Communicating and influencing
- Changing and Improving
- Making effective decisions
- Delivering at pace
- Working together
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.
For an informal and confidential conversation please contact Sarah Luxford on 020 8253 1806 or email GDSdelivery@global-resourcing.com for an information pack and how to apply.
Applications to be received by 9am Monday 1st April 2019