Head of ArchitectureRegister for Job Alert
This is a rare opportunity to be part of a large-scale programme of change that will radically improve how our client operates and interacts with businesses and citizens. You will drive transformation by challenging the status quo and modernising our clients core infrastructure and help us digitise the services we provide and the underlying business processes.
As Head of Architecture, you will:
- Direct the overall architecture function for the department, ensuring that the department's programmes are evolving the right architectures to enable digitally driven solutions and services based on open data principles.
- Create, gain approval for and initiate executable proposals for business and technology transition and transformation based on business needs, architecture and strategic drivers.
- Work with colleagues across government to develop principles, standards and common approaches that support the Government as a Platform vision.
- Develop and maintain organisational commitment to architectural consistency and growing capability, including taking ownership of:
- Architectural principles, standards and best practices;
- Current and future states for business, information, application and technology layers;
- Architectural road maps for each service area;
- Architectural decisions, plans, goals and strategies.
- Ensure that new IT systems transition seamlessly from existing legacy technology and contracts, and deliver exceptional value for money from the department’s technology spending.
- Support the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) in working with the Cabinet Office, HM Treasury and other departments to exchange best practice, adhere to defined standards, and develop cross-government strategic direction.
- Develop and manage effective architectural governance and provide architectural consulting to programs, projects and initiatives.
- Ensure that all systems and IT service changes are aligned with moving Defra to a data driven organisation supporting business and IT strategic planning; identify, evaluate and select appropriate technology in alignment with business objectives.
- You will report directly to the CTO and will manage a team of 15 staff consisting of Enterprise Architects, Solution Architects and Technical Leads. You will provide architectural direction, evaluating resource and talent to ensure Defra is equipped to drive forward its ambitious digital transformation agenda.