Chief ArchitectRegister for Job Alert
Our Client is a core department of Government, responsible for a wide range of key services. These include children’s services and education, higher and further education policy, apprenticeships, careers and wider skills training. The Department works hard to ensure that opportunity is equal for all, no matter what the background or family circumstances.
At present, a team of over 400 digital and technology professionals deliver over 400 online services across multiple sites. This year, however, has meant the start of a hugely exciting change journey. A Chief Digital & Technology Officer was appointed in February to drive this operational and cultural transformation of services, with a clear strategy and vision to increase delivery and accountability.
As part of this transformation, the department is setting up a new design authority which will define the standards and service patterns for four key areas of delivery, namely; products, capability, operations and technology. One of the core roles for the new Design Authority is Chief Architect who will lead on ensuring that the Department’s systems and services are fit for purpose, sustainable and aligned with best practice across government and beyond.
The Chief Architect will be responsible for the following:
- The strategy for addressing legacy technology across our multi-site organisation;
- The formulation of a clear vision and roadmap for the future estate, including the provision of a single platform suitability for future builds;
- Acting as adviser and Subject Matter Expert to colleagues across DDaT and beyond;
- Growing capability and capacity across the Technical Architect community within DfE and beyond;
- Acting as a high-profile representative within the technical architecture community across government;
- Able to deploy substantial leadership experience to drive change and transformation across both the technology estate and its employees;
- Acting as a thought leader to the 17 agencies and public bodies that support the work of the Department, including the exploration of single solutions across multiple organisations;
- Demonstrating technical expertise to bring a focus on new technology and the benefits that it can bring to multiple stakeholders;
- Developing a modern, sustainable, user led and digital by default department that includes DevOps, Cloud-first and Agile ways of working.
- As a business-critical hire and part of the leadership team, the successful candidate must work impeccably with colleagues, acting to build capacity and capability in others; guiding, coaching and challenging colleagues through a major transformation process.
- This diverse and incredibly exciting position, will not only be challenging and highly rewarding for the successful candidate, but play a critical role in shaping one of the country’s most vital Government Departments.